Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Welcome

So Slate claims that blogging is dead - of course, just in time for me to begin nattering away upon mine own humble addition to the blogosphere. The trouble with their claim, it seems to me, is that in focusing all of their attention upon the corporate presence of blogging, they fail to realize that the human desire for communication extends much farther back in time than the (comparatively) recent development of commerce. To quote the eminent (and unfortunately, deceased) Professor Walter Ong, author of Orality and Literacy, "Homo sapiens has been in existence for between 30,000 and 50,000 years. The earliest script [coinciding with the birth of commercial transactions] dates from only 6,000 years ago" (p. 2).

Anyway, even if blogging - as such - is "dead," at least to commerce, I'll descend into expressivism and discursive whining... Expect nothing "regular" to appear. I've chosen this title because it most aptly describes what I do - I'm a Ph.D. student in Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media at NC State University - and commentary regarding those matters is what will most likely appear; however, I plan to include anything I please. If you read this, great - if not, it will serve cathartic measure in knowing that I have, at the very least, put my concerns, comments, and joys "in the world" for all to see.

----------
Currently playing on miPod (my iPod) - Appalachian Spring, by Aaron Copland

No comments: